Thursday, May 17, 2007

When you have too many computers and not as much sleep...

...Then you might forget to turn off some of them (what am I talking... not turn off, even log off the SL!!) And of course the IMs are there to be seen only when I finish rearranging the cable spaghetti in the corner.

The fight with the spaghetti monster yielded the following trophys: 1 desktop PC, 2 USB cameras (I can do a stereo-webcam now!), 2 phone cables, 4 "professional" audio cords of varying length, 3 USB cables, 1 EMU-0404 soundcard, and a huge pile of dust.

In exchange, I've planted a small 4-port hub into the debris. The conditions there are pretty favourable (warm, dry, and a lot of electromagnetic fields), so I think in two years or so it might grow up and I will be a happy owner of a 24-port Gigabit switch.

The aerial view of the monster before it gave up its treasures seemed cute enough to deserve the posting here...



[ cable monster ]


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure all that dust has nothing behind crashing every 3.5 minutes last night....

But I'll give you credit for being persistent in coming back online each time....

Dalien said...

That particular dust has nothing to do with it - since it is a different colo than where my PC is :)

Your post is indeed noteworthy - without going too much into the boring details, it does offer some practical help in some scenarios.